The crypto asset industry has had an exponential increase within its market capitalization in the last 5 years, with weighted growth exceeding 107%.
Likewise, we have seen an increase in capital invested in crypto companies or blockchain technology, according to Galaxy Digital Research, in 2021, more than 33 billion dollars were invested in companies in the industry.
In terms of job opportunities, during the years 2015 and 2019 they increased more than 1,900% and only in 2021 the number of open jobs increased by 118%. The industry already establishes in the Forbes 2021 list more than 7 “billionaires” from the United States, and around the world there are at least 20.
Follow us on Google News to keep you always informed
Crypto Jobs Outlook
There is no denying that since the arrival of the pandemic, workers are more empowered to seek what they want from their jobs.
In addition to flexibility and better benefits, a new workplace benefit is gaining popularity: the option to receive payments in digital currency.
According to a global survey conducted by financial consultancy Vere Group, cryptocurrencies could become more common in wage negotiations with younger workers.
Do you already have us on Facebook? Like us and receive the best information
More than a third of millennials (those between the ages of 26 and 42) and half of Generation Z (25 and younger) would be happy to receive half of their salary in bitcoin or other forms of cryptocurrency, according to the study.
A cryptocurrency is a digital asset that uses computer code and blockchain technology to operate in some way on its own, without the need for a central party to manage the system.
Another survey, conducted by SoFi at Work and Workplace Intelligence with more than 800 U.S. employees, showed that 42% of them would like to receive non-fungible tokens as performance rewards.
Non-fungible tokens, or NFTs, are unique assets that are verified and stored using blockchain technology, a digital ledger similar to the networks that underpin cryptocurrencies.
Follow the information about business and current affairs in Forbes Mexico
Listed below are some opportunities within the industry (among many more that exist):
Working for a market service provider
(Exchanges, Applications, Brokerages, Custodians/Wallets, etc.)
- There is a range of positions that are needed in these companies, from compliance officers, to sales, trading or marketing people.
Follow the business information in our specialized section
Working for a digital asset fund or manager
- The easiest thing here is for those who have access to capital allocators or, if you have experience in investments or portfolio management, you can contribute to the funds.
(Contribute as a developer for open source protocols)
- This may be special for developers who are looking to contribute to the growth and stability of a crypto protocol. It is important to know your programming language. Here are the instructions for contributing to the larger Ethereum and Solana protocols.
Follow the information about the world in our international section
Contribute to a DeFi application
- Yield agriculture, that is, contribute to Defi’s liquidity pools. Here, the less liquid the “pool” there is greater risk, but at the same time, the greater the yield. It is important to consider the permanent loss of your assets, so risk management while the pool is balanced is quite important.
- This is one of the oldest and perhaps most competitive opportunities within crypto, however, you can see the possibility of mining new coins that require lower computing power. Or even, start engaging in proof-of-stake consensus protocols instead of proof-of-work protocols.
Find here the most outstanding news of Mexican politics
Playing to Win in the Metaverse
- Perhaps one of the most exciting (and risky) opportunities out there. By understanding and contributing to a metaverse, you can begin to generate income within it. It is estimated that by 2026 more than 25% of the world’s population will be at least one hour a day in the metaverse, playing, shopping, or learning in these virtual worlds.
Create, Mint, or buy/sell
- If you are an artist you can digitize your art and create NFT’s, if you manage to sell it, it will generate an income, but the most important thing is that of all subsequent sales you will get a commission for being the creator. If you are an art broker it is important to get involved in minting, which is the participation of the first collection within the NFT’s, usually the prices are much lower than those of the secondary market. Buy/sell, has more risk, so it is important to study the market well.
Manage and optimize own capital
investments, trading, profiting from market failures
- This, many think it’s easy, and we see a lot of speculative investors, who have done a lot and lost everything. Here, the most fundamental thing is to invest what you are willing to lose, trade with previously established limits and play probability, and finally, capitalize on market failures through neutral market strategies.
Fernando Martínez, Director for the Americas at OSL
The opinions expressed are solely the responsibility of their authors and are completely independent of the position and editorial line of Forbes Mexico.